Header Ads

Lagos Speaker Declares Governorship Ambition

The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, yesterday declared his ambition to run for the governor of Lagos State come 2015.
Ikuforiji made the declaration at the Blue roof event centre, LTV 8 Ikeja, Lagos.
In his speech, I am by the grace of God, the longest serving speaker, not just in Lagos, but in Nigeria’s history, saying I believe that the time has come for us to consolidate the gains of good governance.

According to him, the time has come for us to rearticulate the vision of the founding fathers of Lagos, and re-energise the people of this great city
“I intend to build on the achievements of Senator  Bola Tinubu and governor Babatunde Fashola to make Lagos a truly global city.
“My core vision is to consolidate and enlarge the enviable legacy of good governance that Lagos has come to be known for. Under my governorship Lagos will truly become a global city, one that all Lagosians will be proud of,” he said.
He stated: “I will work hard to make Lagos the African Alpha City, one that will link the African economy to the world economy.
“Lagos will constitute the heartbeat of the continent in the 21st Century. I believe that our state has all that it takes to seize this role and I am convinced that we can make it happen for Lagos under my leadership.
“As a technocrat and a widely travelled politician, I will contribute my quota to the charting of a new trajectory for our Lagos by ensuring that our politics is devoid of rancour.
“I will ensure that even to the most politically aloof Lagos resident, politics will be attractive and no longer perceived as a dirty game characterised by nepotism” he added
He stressed that he would consolidate the work started by the first civilian Governor of Lagos, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, our governor e meritus, Tinubu and  Fashola.

He said: “Within the first 18 months of my government, our hospitals in Lagos will be upgraded to world class standard, adding that by that time, Lagos government officials including myself will be mandated to undergo medical check-up here instead of abroad.
On education, Ikuforiji said “our schools in Lagos will be restored to their former glory and I will not rest until LASU is one of the top 500 universities in the world

“I am in this race to make a difference; my conscience tells me this is the best time to do the will of God for Lagos and I am well placed to lead this new phase in the history of Lagos.
He said: “I have used my talent and energy in helping not only to build democratic governance in Lagos, but also to expand the frontiers of accountability and transparency
“In the struggle to ensure that Lagos maintains its place in the nation, and indeed becomes Africa’s pre-eminent city-state, I have suffered all sorts of attempts at distractions
“I have triumphed over trumped-up charges, and even survived an assassination attempt. But through it all, I have remained committed to the ideals of Lagos,” he stated.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.